[VoCamp Discuss] Welcome, and Introductions

Richard Cyganiak richard at cyganiak.de
Sun Aug 17 13:36:26 PDT 2008

Hi all,

Thanks Tom for kicking off the list!

My short intro: I'm Richard, a research assistant at DERI Galway. I'm
involved in numerous efforts to make publishing Semantic Web data
easier (e.g. D2RQ, Neologism, Semantic Sitemaps, the “Cool URIs for
the Semantic Web” tutorial). I think that the availability of high-
quality domain vocabularies is important for making the Semantic Web
work. At the Oxford VoCamp, I have three goals:

1. To make Linked Data work better, we need some additional
vocabularies, e.g. for paging large resource descriptions. I hope to
make some progress on these at VoCamp with the input from other
participants.

2. I want to gather requirements (and bug reports?) for Neologism, an
RDFS editor/publishing tool that we are creating at DERI.

3. I want to explore the general process of finding, creating,
advertising, and maintaining vocabularies for the Semantic Web. Should
we have something like the Microformats process for creating
vocabularies? Do we need a new central directory where people can find
high-quality domain vocabularies? What forms of documentation are most
useful?

So, I'm really looking forward to meeting you all in Oxford, it's
going to be two intense -- and hopefully very productive --days!

Cheers,
Richard