[VoCamp Discuss] VoCamp DC is a go!

Harry Halpin hhalpin at ibiblio.org
Fri Apr 17 13:50:59 PDT 2009

On Fri, Apr 17, 2009 at 8:31 PM, Mike Lang Jr. <mikelangjr at revelytix.com> wrote:
> Hi Peter,
> Forgetting about Knoodl for a second, I'd like to reiterate the larger point
> that I was trying to make.  If VoCamps are going to accomplish anything more
> than being fun, networking kinds of events, I think that it is vital that
> they enable attendees to continue collaborating on their vocabularies after
> the VoCamp is over.  As organizers, I think part of our responsibility is to
> help people do this.  Its nice that we can bring people together to
> collaborate, but would be far more effective if we could help facilitate
> their continued collaboration.  Clearly, part of helping people collaborate
> on vocabularies is to help them find tools that are useful for the purpose.
>  I think we agree on all these points, but I'm not sure.
> I also believe that if we feel confident about a tools ability to do a job
> better than alternatives, then we should recommend that tool.  I suggested
> Knoodl become the VoCamp tool of choice because I think it is the best tool
> for the job.  I have not come to this conclusion without doing the due
> diligence.  A large part of my job is to track the market and learn about
> other tools, both competing and complimentary ones.  I also have a fair
> amount of experience managing collaborative ontology projects.  I think that
> the essential properties that a collaborative vocabulary editor must have to
> be useful for VoCamp participants are that it is web-based, publicly hosted,
> and free.  As far as I know, Knoodl is the only tool that fits this
> description.  Of course, others may disagree with my opinion as to what
> properties are essential for a collaborative vocabulary editor.
> I really believe that VoCamps can be very important in spreading the
> development of domain vocabularies, which are essential to the success of
> semantic technologies.  I also strongly believe that collaborative ontology
> building must be done over the web.  I understand your view, I hope you
> understand mine as well.

I might add that as of now, Mike's correct as regards collaborative,
Web 2.0 vocabulary design - currently Knoodl is the only thing in the
space. I think it's a "crying shame" that the Semantic Web, despite
having nearly a decade in some odd form of gestation, has yet to
develop a usable and simple vocabulary Web-based editor, although it
does have a host of desktop tools (Protege, Neon, etc.), most of which
are overkill for the typical vocabulary. I'm looking forward to
Neologism and other Web-based systems in the future.

I hope to see more effort, a *lot* more in this space, and some degree
of sensible centralization in this space. I'm not sure under what
banner - Knoodl, vocab.org, but we should really work on this as a
community. If it's hard for "insiders" to post a vocabulary and have
people find it, you can bet it's virtually impossible for outsiders.