[VoCamp Discuss] VoCamp at WWW09?

Tom Heath tom.heath at talis.com
Wed Jan 7 10:55:13 PST 2009

Hi Peter,

2009/1/7 Peter Mika <pmika at yahoo-inc.com>:
> Hi Tom,
>
> The train from Madrid to Barcelona is as expensive (or more) than flying.
> Flying is about 50 euros, try e.g. vueling.com.

Great news.

> In terms of timing, the workshop in Ibiza is on Friday/Saturday. If we go to
> collocate, should it be Wednesday/Thursday then? Or Thursday and Sunday?

I think it would have to be Wednesday/Thursday, as spilling into
Sunday would cause problems for those needing to get to Madrid for
WWW2009 workshop on the Monday. Will enough members of the FOWS
audience be able/willing to arrive early for VoCamp do you think? Hope
so :)

Cheers,

Tom.

> Tom Heath wrote:
>>
>> Hi Peter, all,
>>
>> Wow, nice idea. I really like the idea of co-locating VoCamp alongside
>> another event, particularly where that event has an audience that will
>> be mostly new to the VoCamp idea. That's a strong argument for me in
>> favour of Ibiza. From a practical point of view these two locations
>> make little difference for me, although I guess I would want to know
>> that flights to Ibiza from within Spain weren't going to be
>> significantly more expensive than the train from within Spain (i.e. I
>> don't want people based in Spain to miss out if they are short on
>> funds). One final question, would VoCamp get a dedicated day/two days
>> within/adjacent to the workshop programme, or would it be competing
>> with many parallel activities/events? Regarding your other question,
>> if I was in the area already for VoCamp, then time permitting I would
>> be very interested to attend the Web Search workshop.
>>
>> HTH,
>>
>> Tom.
>>

>> 2009/1/7 Peter Mika <pmika at yahoo-inc.com>:
>>

>>> Hi All,
>>>
>>> Happy New Year to everyone!
>>>
>>> A brief update on VoCamp Barcelona... so we have a room and open wifi in
>>> the
>>> building and we can have both free of charge. However, there is another
>>> option, namely to collocate the event with the next Future of Web Search
>>> Workshop, which will take place in Ibiza on the Friday and Saturday
>>> before
>>> WWW. This workshop is organized by Yahoo! Research Barcelona every year,

--
Dr Tom Heath
Researcher