[VoCamp Discuss] Welcome, and Introductions

Benjamin O'Steen bosteen at gmail.com
Mon Sep 22 04:23:06 PDT 2008

Hi,

I'm Ben O'Steen, and work for Oxford Uni Library Services (OULS) dealing
with digital archiving, modelling of research output and the
preservation and presentation of said research. One of the main services
is the Research Archive (~ Institutional repository) at
http://ora.ouls.ox.ac.uk but I am dealing with most of the live archival
of digital material, such as archiving the Google Books digitisation
images, research datasets, etc.

Things that are on my mind that are relevant to VoCamp:

1) Very interested to see "Evidence" semantics appear in Ian Davis's
introduction [ -> "... looking for collaborators for an evidence-based
model of genealogical research (or general historical research)"] - I am
very, very interested to push this forward and I have a good use case
for it, which I'll outline at the end.

2) Vocabularies and policies to enable the translation of strings to
things, with regards to the metadata associated with research output
(e.g. "John Smith" -> (fict.)http://people.ox.ac.uk/jsmith2008
"Department of History" -> (fict.)http://departments.ox.ac.uk/history,
or dc:subject "Science" -> dc:subject
http://lcsh.info/sh85118553#concept

 -> So, persistance and retention of subject vocabularies, privacy (e.g.
medical services/animal testing faculties), and how best to translate
(institutional) organisational structures into things on the web are of
concern to me.

3) Data -> How best to represent or register the availability of 2d/3d+
tabular datasets, when the data size is in the Gb->Tb->Pb areas - i.e.
develop/find/steal a vocab for describing bulk datasets, like the NASA
FITS format or even CSV data.

4) More of a very current itch to scratch for me, but modelling a
phonetics (audio) database and presenting this dataset in a useful and
semantically sensible way.

5) Representing books/paginated content - e.g. is there a better way
than RDF:Seq? How best to capture the page ranges for title pages,
contents, indexes, plates, tables, appendices, etc. Again, looking to
use things, rather than strings here - a label of "Title Page" isn't
good enough.

6) Time vocabularies - (some overlap with #1 above) vocab/scheme/plan to
note the time span for which a given triple or set of triples are valid
for.

7) Tagging vocabularies - delicious/digg/reddit representation

See you all at camp (it feels american to write something like that!)
and I'll likely be installed at the Far from Madding Crowd pub from when
I get out of work on Tuesday night too :)

Ben

Evidence-based historical assertions: use-case

One project I am working on, is turning a historical record of medieval
library catalogues into an electronic set of resources.
(http://www.history.ox.ac.uk/sharpe/index.htm#catalogues)

>From initial discussions, it was very quickly apparent that this
information is best presented as a graph - a library/private home/etc
contains 'books', each of which contain 1 or more 'works', and a work in
a given book may have annotations/marginalia.

Unlike today, the recorded books and the compilations of works they held
were much more bespoke. And instead of having clean, clear catalogues of
which works were present where and when, each asserted record - [library
'A' held book 'B', containing works 'C' to 'F' during time X] - is known
due to a piece of evidence. The evidence is pretty eclectic, ranging
from the most definite and most rare (written record of sale or a lib
catalogue record) to the more interesting, such as book 'B' was found to
have the same form of binding that library 'A' used in the Xth century,
or even more loose, book 'B' must have been in library 'A', because the
handwritten shelfmark on the front page is in the handwriting of the
librarian who sometimes worked at library 'A' during time X.

This means that a numerical scale for strength of evidence is not
useful, but the ability/vocab/scheme to be able to say something like
"this triple/graph of triples is valid in the context of this evidence
[graph]"