[VoCamp Discuss] VoCamp DC is a go!

Mike Lang Jr. mikelangjr at revelytix.com
Wed Apr 15 11:39:32 PDT 2009

Hi everyone,

I am going to encourage participants in VoCamp DC to use
Knoodl<http://www.knoodl.com> to collaborate on
their Vocabularies both before and after our VoCamp and I think that other
organizers should do the same.  It may be in bad taste for me to promote my
own company's product in this way, but it is free (and will remain so) and
it is the only tool I am aware of that enables collaborative vocabulary
editing.  Without such a tool, VoCamps will not be able to accomplish their
main goal, which is to produce useful ontologies.  It is not reasonable to
expect an ontology to be finished within a weekend.  In fact, an ontology is
never finished because part of the point of using one is that it can adapt
and change as it needs to.  Knoodl is a natural place for people to continue
to develop and manage any ontologies and it enables them to do so
collaboratively with the people that they meet at a VoCamp.

I have started a VoCamp Community
<http://www.knoodl.com/ui/groups/VoCamp>in Knoodl where participants
can upload Vocabularies.  If we make this a
best practice of future VoCamps, then participants of any VoCamp will be
able to collaborate on their ontologies long after their VoCamp ends.

I'd be glad to hear any thoughts/feedback on this issue.

Mike Lang
Revelytix, Inc.

phone: 410-584-0009 (office)
          443-928-3782 (cell)