[VoCamp Discuss] Introduction

Fabien Gandon Fabien.Gandon at sophia.inria.fr
Mon Sep 22 06:30:35 PDT 2008

Ooops!

I just realized I did not introduce myself… shame on me.

My name is Fabien Gandon [0] and I am a researcher in Informatics /
Computer Science in the EDELWEISS [1] research team of INRIA
Sophia-Antipolis [2], France. I graduated as an engineer with a master
degree in applied mathematics in 1998 and obtained an M.Phil. in image
processing and knowledge based systems the same year. I defended a Ph.D
in computer science in 2002 at the crossroad of distributed artificial
intelligence and information systems for knowledge management, studying
ontology-based formalisms and multi-agents architectures to materialize
and manage organizational memories as corporate semantic webs [3]. I
then did a post-doc at Carnegie Mellon University where I was the leader
of the myCampus project focusing on semantic web formalisms and services
to allow context-awareness and to enforce privacy in mobile accesses to
online services [4]. As a full-time researcher I am now working in the
field of semantic web formalisms and architectures to assist online
communities of interest or practice in their interactions and in the
management of their information. In this field, I was and still am
involved in several projects [5] including the SweetWiki engine mixing
wiki and semantic web approaches [6]. Finally, INRIA is a member of W3C
where I contributed to standards like GRDDL and RDFa.

One of my hobbies is also to maintain a number of “Nutshell
presentations” about the semantic web:
http://www.slideshare.net/fabien_gandon/slideshows

Going through the activities of my team and the logs of the IRC I
participate to, I saw several requests for ontologies to represent:
- Bookmarking
- Companies / Management / hierarchy / consortiums / HR information
- Tracks and Trails of web resources
- Social networks and their analysis
- Folksonomies (e.g. SCOT + SKOS)
- Communities (e.g. FOAF + SIOC)
- Forms and associated services
- Quality, certainty, trust
- IM, profile, presence, status,
- IRC logs
- Intelligence, Watch, Monitoring, Notification

Concerning the publication of vocabulary, schema and other profiles we
currently rely on a namespace server dedicated to this:
http://ns.inria.fr/
But we are also interested in identifying other options to setup and
maintain such services.

Cheers,